Sunday, October 31, 2010

Lets talk Germany

I just had breakfast on my windowsill. Stretched out on the spacious ledge I balanced a bowl of oatmeal, a cup of coffee and a cigarette.  I try to take most of my meals beside the open window. The sky is clear and the trees are bright and the air is cool and I know that winter is on its way and soon I will submit to the cold enclosed life of the warm blooded. But for now, I stock up on the sun and establish warm memories in my mind.

Ive gone from Big Sky Country to No Sky Country. The mountains invade the sky.  They are tremendous, nearly terrifying, but they have been conquered with hiking trails and ski lifts, muting their natural majesty. The other day I was on my way home from work and the sight of them suddenly sprung upon me. I stopped in my tracks. "I am in Germany." I shook my head in disbelief and went on my way.

Its a two mile walk to work. Two miles: three parts cement sidewalk, two parts gravel path, one part covered bridge, one part cobblestone road. Sometimes my commute takes place in the early hours, when the world has yet to hit its alarm clock and the cows aren't even anxious to get to their fields. Everything is so quiet. The clean compact homes. The high and mighty bell towers. The narrow empty streets. Its awesome; its honestly more invigorating then a cup of coffee.  The day hikes are good too. When everyone has their windows open, defending their gardens from the cows lumbering back to their barn.  My walks serve as a transitional time of day, when I can take my bearings and clear my mind.  I don't know why I ever drove to work in Bozeman.

I have to wear a suit to work and Ive been bestowed with responsibility. So my job is obviously different than any other job Ive ever had. Being a Security Officer is awesome. I've always wanted to fight crime. I think they selected me for the position because I'm such a burly intimidating person.

1 comment: